Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Join me in loving pottery!

Hello and welcome to my Loving Pottery blog. My sister recently moved to China and came back for a visit. She came bearing gifts. One of the things she brought were teapots. Each one was different and she had each one wrapped in Chinese newspaper. She put them all on the table at our parent's house and we each got to choose one. It was great fun seeing all the different designs and how beautiful they all were. Something sparked inside me and being in this mode of tackling creative challenges, I decided I needed to make one myself.

Please realize that I know nothing about pottery, except that I like it. That was just a few weeks ago and since then I have recently have begun taking pottery lessons with the hopes of one day creating that functional and beautiful teapot.

I had my first class yesterday and throughly enjoyed it. We started with a small bowl created from clay coils. When I finished mine, it didn't look too bad. Certainly not perfect but not too bad either. It will be a couple of weeks before it will be completly finished and after it is fired will be the true test of how well I did on my first project. But I am one step closer to making that teapot! I will update after my next class.

In the meantime, if you would like to share pictures of your pottery pieces, or pottery stories, please feel free to leave comments. I must admit I am new to this blogging thing and trying to figure it all out. I will have to find out how to allow you to add your pictures. Please bear with me.

No comments: